Real Time Object Detection for Apergy Corporation
Apergy Corporation, now called ChampionX, brings over a century of expertise and 6,600 global team members who deliver forward-thinking innovations, unmatched global supply chain capability, and market-shaping solutions in reservoir, drilling, production, midstream, and water applications.
Apergy’s training and knowledge transfer activities involved a lot of manual operations making the task of training crew or providing information regarding some specific control-valve models and other hardware entities time consuming. So, Apergy decided to implement an AVR (Augmented Virtual Reality) Application that can be used by the crew to get trained or practice on the live control-valve and can gain knowledge on various components of the hardware entities through real-time object detection.
This project aimed at building various models of machines and peripherals involved that would enable the crew to experience the machines in Augmented reality and Virtual Reality using their mobile devices (as well as AVR enabled devices) where there are no limitations in referring manual books to operate the machine.
imaginX built Augmented Reality App for Highly Engineered Valves for Apergy Corp. Designed for complex production equipment, the AR App incorporates ML, AI, videos, images, interactive UI and messages promising great user experience.
Real-time object detection for these valves has two modes:
- The Identify mode enables users to identify each part of the valve.
- The Practice mode enables users to dismantle and assemble the valve like a pro.
- Real-time troubleshooting during repairs has become faster and easier like never before.
- Step-by-step instructions on repairing assets thus requiring no more assistance from a live technician.
- Field staff can now be trained easily in handling these valves with precise outcomes.
“imaginX created an Augmented Virtual Reality Mobile Application that helped us in training and working on the control-valve. It saves time and energy of physically dismantling the valve every time we need to train our team. This application combines the virtual and physical world”.
- Rohit Robinson, Vice President – Product Development